Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Material Girl

So, I find this fascinating. Apparently Madonna and her 13-year-old daughter Lourdes Leon have been designing a new junior's clothing line with Macy's called  Material Girl. If I was a teenage girl, I'd be all about it, because I loved Madge back in the day, and I love her now.

But the reason I mention it is because Lola (Lourdes) is the voice and the soul of the new line, and is blogging for the company's website.

And her blog post is just dripping with "voice". Here's a snippet:

Helluuur thurrrr, I’m Lola and this is my first blog entry so it’s kind of like ummmm….

I’m just going to use this blog entry to tell y’all a little bit about myself. I’m 13 and I’ll be 14 in October, so I can’t wait for that because I am FINALLY allowed to dye my hair… THANK YOU MOTHER!! My favvvv color is black (just because it goes with everything) and my least favorite color is brown (because it resembles the color of something QUITE gross).

If I wrote a first person MG or YA book in this voice, what would an agent or editor say? I'd suspect they'd say I was 'trying to hard to sound like a teen', which is something I've seen on agent blogs in the past.

Could a whole novel be sustained in this voice? Probably not. What can I take from this to inspire me?

Do you find the voice charming or annoying? I love the personality that shines through.

-k.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't read an entire novel written like this. Save it for the dialogue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little surprised with the 'voice'. She's been going to some exclusive French Immersion School and I would have expected a more grown-up, verging on hoity toity voice. But,if she's only 13, maybe not. Regardless, it was a little annoying.

    ReplyDelete