Thursday, April 15, 2010

On a deadline

Daily Word Goal: 500 words
Today's Total: 0

My writing group took a month off to have a state of the union this month, and one of the topics we discussed was the frequency of our critique meetings. We decided to go to a three week schedule instead of four during the summer months, and I'm very excited about it. I work best when I have an external deadline, and this will hopefully force me to crank up my work volume. Our next submission is due on the 29th, so tomorrow I need to carve out some writing time.

On the writing side, while you'll notice my word count is still nil, I've been trying to figure out what is keeping me from getting this next chapter out. I realize that I hate it. Even though I tightened up the conflict, it's boring, boring, boring. Last night I realized that I need to re-think it. Perhaps really engage a minor character who will be a mini villain through the book. Why not pump up her involvement from the very beginning? I'm need to sit down and free think some scenarios between the two characters and see what comes up.

If this was the theater, and I was a director, I could do a bunch of improv work with my actors to figure this out. So virtual improv here I come.

5 comments:

  1. All's I can say is "I feel your pain." And I've barely plopped word on paper yet! Who said this writing stuff was easy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm selfishly glad I'm not the only sufferer out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try out for you improv play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be checking your word count tomorrow (not as a policeman, rather for inspiration to get my own %$@ in gear!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration Karyn. I did it! Come see my blog at carigaleziewski.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete